Skip to the content
Kansas State University

Program Information


The K-State Online Dietetics Program is designed so that students can complete the professional courses in dietetics via distance education.

Before applying to the online program to complete the professional courses for the bachelor’s degree, students need to take general education courses in written and oral communications, humanities, and the social, physical, and biological sciences. These courses can be taken on the K-State campus in Manhattan or from other institutions. Emphasis is placed on successful completion of Chemistry I and II, Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology, Human Anatomy, Human Physiology, and Environmental Issues in Hospitality (or General Microbiology). Students who wish to take general education courses at institutions other than K-State should visit the K-State transfer equivalency web page prior to enrollment to ensure that the courses will transfer to K-State. If your institution is not listed on this page, or if you have questions consult with Karla Girard, the dietetics online program coordinator, for further assistance. Barton County Community College has partnered with K-State to offer the first two years of coursework for the dietetics bachelor’s degree. This provides a seamless transfer of credits from one institution to the other. Read more about this partnership on the Admissions page.

Professional courses for the Didactic Program in Dietetics are completed by distance via a variety of media.

The Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) meets the academic requirements set forth by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and qualifies the student to apply for post-baccalaureate supervised practice programs. The didactic program is available by distance to both in-state and out-of-state students.

After students are admitted to the university and start the dietetics program, they will need to apply for formal admission to the DPD three semesters before their expected graduation date.

Admission requirements for the DPD

  • No grade lower than a B in a science course or a professional (HMD or HN and ACCTG 231) course.
  • No grade lower than C in communications, social sciences, quantitative studies, humanities, and integrative courses.
  • Evidence of dietetics-related work or volunteer experience, documenting how the student has worked to learn more about the various areas of dietetics practice.
  • Completion of application with a personal statement, resume, transcripts and summary of experience.

Upon completion of the didactic program, students must apply and be accepted into an accredited dietetic internship in order to qualify to take the national examination to become a registered dietitian. More information about internships can be found on the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’s website at

Admission to the DPD program does not guarantee acceptance into an internship program. According to the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND), nationwide only about 50% of those who applied to internships/supervised practice programs were accepted.

Completing a Verification Statement

Applicants who have earned a gradute degree in any area are allowed to take only the specific courses they need to meet the Academy’s academic requirments. This allows the individual to receive the ACEND Verification statement needed to apply for admission to an accredited dietetics internship. The graduate degree must be from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or the equivilant. The graduate degree can be in progress while taking K-State dietetics courses, but must be completed before the Verification Statement is issued.

  1. Submit the nondegree program application form
  2. Have official transcripts sent to:
    Karla Girard, Online Undergraduate Dietetics Program Coordinator
    Kansas State University
    Department of HMD
    101 Justin Hall
    Manhattan, KS 66506-1404
  3. If you have already completed nutrition and foodservice courses that you would like to have evaluated, also send Karla Girard official course descriptions from the college catalog that was in effect when you were enrolled, as well as your resume. If you do not have a catalog, you should contact your college’s Registrar’s Office to see if they have old catalogs on file and can send you a photocopy of the descriptions.

Your application, official transcripts, and supporting materials must be received by June 1 for fall semesters, November 1 for spring semesters, and April 1 for summer sessions.

If you do not meet the prerequisites, Karla Girard will notify you by e-mail and will help you determine where you can take the needed courses. If you have questions about the application process, please contact Karla Girard.