Before applying to the distance program in dietetics, you should have completed at least 30 college credits including the following courses with grades of B or better:
- CHM 210 – Chemistry I
- CHM 230 – Chemistry II *
- BIO 198 – Principles of Biology
- KIN 360 – Human Anatomy and Physiology I & II OR
- BIO 340 – Structure and Function of Human Body*
- Must have grade of "B" or better in all Science and Professional courses
- Must have grade of "C" or better in communication, social sciences, quanitative studies, and humanities.
*Chemistry II and Human Anatomy and Physiology II courses need to have been completed within the past five years. If you have taken multiple Chemistry courses, the highest level course must be no more than five years old.
The Dietetics program at Kansas State University (K-State) will not be accepting applications from residents in Massachusetts, Nevada, North Carolina, or Washington. In order to offer distance programs in any state, providers must meet specific regulations and pay the accompanying fees for each individual state. K-State will not be seeking authorization for its Dietetics program in the states mentioned due to their extensive fees required for authorization.
Application Process for Students who Meet the Above Prerequisites
Students wishing to pursue a Bachelor of Science in Dietetics:
- Apply online at https://apply.ksu.edu/app/open/BDCPLanding_open.action?plan=bdt or print out an application there. You’ll apply as a transfer student.
- If you have received credit from other institutions, have each institution send an official transcript to the K-State Office of Admissions, and follow up with that office to make sure that they have received your transcripts. Your application will not be processed until all transcripts from the institutions you’ve identified have been received. Transcripts mailed by students are not considered to be official.
- K-State Admissions, Phone: 800-432-8270 / 785-532-6250
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office of Admissions
Kansas State University
119 Anderson Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506-0102
Do not send transcripts to Karla Girard unless you are pursuing only a Verification Statement. See more information at htt://www.dce.k-state.edu/humanecology/dietetics/bachelors/information
- Send official descriptions of any relevant classes from the college catalog that was in effect when you were enrolled, as well as your resume to:
Karla Girard, Online Dietetics Distance Program Coordinator
Kansas State University
Department of HMD
104 Justin Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506-1404
If you do not have a catalog, you should contact your college’s Registrar’s Office to see if they have old catalogs on file and can send you a photocopy of the descriptions.
Please note: It takes at least 4-6 weeks for an application to be processed once all materials have been received.
Admissions will forward your transfer course information to Karla Girard, who will to make sure you meet the prerequisites. If you do, the Human Ecology Dean’s office will complete an evaluation of how your courses will apply toward the Bachelor of Science in Dietetics. For the evaluation process to occur, your application, official transcripts, and course descriptions must be received no later than June 1 for fall semesters, November 1 for spring semesters, and April 1 for summer sessions
If you do not meet the prerequisites, the Admissions Office will notify you. You should then check with Karla Girard to help determine where you can take the courses you are lacking.
Don’t Meet the Above Prerequisites?
K-State and Barton Community College (Barton) have teamed up to offer students the opportunity to earn their BS degree in dietetics. Barton offers the first two years of coursework, including all of the above required courses. They have online courses available, making it possible for you to maintain employment while working toward your bachelor’s degree.
Both K-State and Barton have worked together to develop a seamless articulation agreement – meaning college credits earned at Barton will easily transfer to K-State. This will ensure that you are taking courses that apply to your degree. Contact Barton today to get started.