Dialogue, Deliberation and Public Engagement Certificate Program
A transformative professional development program focused on making wise choices for engagement
DDPE participants will gain:
- Approaches to participatory planning and collaborative decision-making that are supported by sound scholarship.
- Communication and leadership skills that will help you design and lead productive meetings.
- Dialogic practices that will help you develop and maintain constructive working relationships and manage conflict.
- Proven frameworks to support you in selecting or designing engagement processes for organizations, stakeholders, or whole communities.
- Knowledge of a wide range of tools and techniques for engaging small and large groups to address conflicts, explore alternatives, and inform policy.
- Principles and practices that move groups toward sustainable action that changes lives.
This award-winning program is designed for those who seek to develop skills in dialogue, deliberation and public engagement. Online courses and face-to-face workshops are offered for an international audience including:
- city managers and planners
- facilitators and consultants
- community and organizational development practitioners
- scholars and students of participatory processes
- mediators and other conflict resolution professionals
- public servants and elected officials
- peace builders
A scholar-practitioner program, our approach is grounded in principles of transformative adult learning. Your learning occurs collaboratively with faculty and other participants, giving you first-hand experience with dialogue and deliberation practices.
Two of the DDPE Collaborative Certificate courses are offered as distance learning. They include focused reading, individual and collaborative reflection, small group online and phone-based learning conversations, and large group phone-based conversations with core and guest faculty. The advanced course also includes a capstone engagement project with the opportunity for coached practice with faculty and seasoned practitioners. The capstone is recognized as one of the most valued parts of the program.
The other two courses are face-to-face intensive workshops, the second of which is a larger symposium that combines face-to-face with online synchronous and asynchronous group interaction.