How to Apply
Professionals wishing to pursue a Master of Science (MS) degree in Psychology with an emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology (MIOP) are expected to meet the following admissions requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree with 3.0 GPA in the final two years, or approximately the last 60 credit hours.
- Two years of human resource managerial or supervisory experience
- Computer proficiency
- Undergraduate coursework or on-the-job training and CEU equivalents in:
- Social Sciences
- Human Resources
- Statistics (must have one college course in statistics)
Students without all the undergraduate course requirements may be admitted on a provisional basis with the understanding that deficiencies will be made up by taking the appropriate undergraduate courses.
Students with a lower than required grade point average may be required to take the GMAT or GRE. If admitted, admission status will be probationary until the first nine credit hours of study are completed satisfactorily. Failure to meet admission provisions or probationary grade requirements will result in dismissal from the program.
Applicants for whom the English language is not their native language must score at least 550 on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) to be considered for the program. The TOEFL is offered several times a year throughout the world by the Educational Testing Service, Princeton, New Jersey. Applications for TOEFL examinations can be obtained in the applicant’s country from the U.S. Information Service Office, the U.S. Consulate Offices, and the U.S. Embassy, or by writing to the Princeton TOEFL Educational Testing Service at Box 899, Princeton, New Jersey, 08540, USA. To have your score directed to Kansas State University use code #6334.
At the time of enrollment, international students entering the Graduate School with a TOEFL score below 600 must also demonstrate proficiency in written and oral English. Those not meeting these requirements must satisfactorily complete English 075 or Speech 070, or both, as appropriate, before being allowed to enroll in the program through the K-State Global Campus.
Review of applications begins October 15, 2014. The final application deadline for international students is December 15, 2014. Otherwise, the final application deadline has been extended to April 30, 2015.
Students wishing to apply for admission to the Master of Science (MS) degree in Psychology with an emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology (MIOP) should follow the application procedures below:
- Complete and submit an Online Graduate Application Form. In the Academic Information area, select Distance-Off Campus as to where you will be completing the majority of the coursework. Then choose Master’s Degree. The program you select will be the (MS) in Psychology with an emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Please be prepared to upload the following information when completing the online application.
- Statement of Objectives, State your academic objectives, giving specific reasons for the selection of your field of study, contemplated research areas, and professional plans. Most statements are three to four paragraphs in length. The objectives allow faculty to
- Determine that your expectations of the MIOP program are congruent with what the program provides; and
- Review a sample of your writing skills.
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Names and e-mails of three professional and/or academic references.
- Order Transcripts.
- Request each college or university where you received your bachelor’s degree or completed any advanced course work or degree to send an official transcript to address below.
- Failure to list any colleges or universities from which you received a degree or enrolled in graduate course work may result in dismissal from the University. (Transcripts become part of your records at Kansas State University and cannot be returned.)
- Students whose transcripts are not in English must furnish a translation by an appropriate authority.
- If employed, obtain a letter of support from your employer. Ask your employer to send a letter indicating support of your entrance into the program to the address below. Financial support is not required.
- International Students: International Study Applicants should provide TOEFL scores with their application forms as explained under admission requirements.
- A $50 application fee is required for U.S. citizens and residents, or $75 for international applicants and this must also be submitted online.
MIOP Program Assistant
Department of Psychology
Kansas State University
474 Bluemont Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506-5503