Student Services Coordinator
Kansas State University
Division of Continuing Education
Student and Faculty Services
Student Services Coordinator
This position is essential to the day-to-day and semester-to-semester operation of the Student and Faculty Services (SFS) unit, facilitating distance student services for current students and managing communication to prospective students interested in programs offered through the Division of Continuing Education (DCE).
This position will facilitate communication between DCE and campus student service offices, ensuring that current students receive appropriate services critical for student retention and success. This position will respond to student concerns and connect students with campus resources as appropriate.
This position will be tasked to think creatively and explore new avenues of communicating with current students and with prospective students who have shown an interest in the programs offered through DCE, ensuring that prospective student marketing flows efficiently and that communication to students is current and updated for each program offered through DCE. This position will gather and analyze data on the populations of both current and prospective students to improve retention and recruitment efforts.
This position serves as a member of the SFS team and committees within DCE and Kansas State University as requested. This position reports to the Director of Student and Faculty Services in the Division of Continuing Education.
Student Services Coordination – 40%
- Remain knowledgeable of all college distance education programs offered through DCE and respond or refer appropriately to student inquiries.
- Maintain detailed student contact notes and records recording interactions with current students.
- Facilitate communication between DCE and campus student services ensuring that current students receive appropriate services critical for student retention and success.
- Maintain familiarity with University student information systems and learning management systems in order to access student information to provide assistance as required.
- Maintain and evaluate data on student retention and work with academic program coordinators to improve retention efforts based on best practices. On a regular basis provide reports of data collected to SFS Director and DCE Leadership.
- Promote services and communication to current students through current technology such as social media.
- Work with SFS Director to provide services and input on special projects related to student services for DCE students.
- Actively update and monitor the programmatic information in the office knowledge base systems, which are utilized by staff answering the phone and interacting with students.
- Work as an SFS team member to provide seamless service to all students, faculty, and staff.
Recruitment Coordination – 40%
- Actively recruit students who have shown an interest in the online programs offered through the Division of Continuing Education by following up on leads through phone, e-mail, and appropriate mailings.
- Track prospective students from point of inquiry to registration.
- Field a wide range of inquiries, occasionally making referrals to internal and external contacts.
- Remain knowledgeable of all college distance education programs and student services (Financial Aid, Advising, etc.) and refer prospective students to the appropriate office to address academic and/or financial matters. Provide follow-up to ensure appropriate action was taken in a timely manner.
- Implement electronic communication campaigns for the prospective student population to promote programs offered through the Division of Continuing Education.
- Work independently to create, test, and monitor data flow of multi-step campaign management software campaigns. Maintain regular assessment and analysis of campaign operations to track, investigate, and analyze problems and provide suggestions to accomplish SFS, DCE, and University goals for recruitment outcomes.
- Provide activity and progress reports on a regular basis. Evaluate data on current student retention and incorporate information gathered from retention data into recruitment practices in an effort to improve recruitment and retention overall to meet DCE goals.
Administrative Support/Office Management – 10%
- Analyze office procedures and systems in order to devise and implement modifications for ongoing improvements to the functions of the office.
- Serve as the back-up for the main point of contact for all students, faculty, and staff, which includes answering 16 incoming telephone lines, serving as back-up in overseeing three voicemail accounts, and ensuring that all telephone messages left after hours receive a response within one business day.
- Serve as back-up in overseeing main office e-mail account.
- Strive to raise student employees’ professionalism by teaching proper office procedures and introducing policies and practices pertaining to the University, DCE, and SFS unit.
- Serve as back-up for scheduling SFS student work schedules and submission of student time documents.
SFS/Division/University Responsibility – 10%
- Maintain communication between staff of Marketing and Communication Services, SFS, and academic program coordinators.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding college information and student files.
- Adhere to professional standards in daily interactions with others and keep abreast of current trends and best practices in the fields of continuing education and student services.
- Complete annual DCE goals as assigned.
- Maintain an organized and professional office environment.
- Review areas of work consistency as related to DCE policies/procedures. As areas of inconsistency are identified, when possible, revise procedures to comply with standard.
- Comply with procedures established for schedule notification.
- Serve fully on DCE, university, or professional association committees or project teams when requested.
- Participate in DCE professional development.
- Participate in campus programming related to distance education, retention, or student services, diversity events, leadership programs, and other campus programs that would expand knowledge.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks efficiently and effectively to meet deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience with administration of customer management or recruitment software
- Experience creating and running periodic reports and analyzing data
- Attention to detail
- Experience appropriately handling confidential information
- Well-developed computer skills including the use of Microsoft Office programs such as Access, Excel, and Word.
- Demonstrated success working independently as well as in a team environment.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated dependability and customer service experience.
- Ability to understand, interpret, and implement policy and procedures and to problem solve effectively.
- Familiarity with educational student services.
- Ability to work with a diverse clientele, to establish and maintain effective working relationships, and to handle the demands of multiple deadlines and interruptions.
- Master’s degree
- 3-5 years’ experience managing recruitment.
- 3-5 years’ experience with educational student services.
- Effective presentation and public speaking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively and comprise effective recruitment and yield strategies.
- Experience working in a higher education environment.
- Experience with learning management systems, electronic calendaring systems, and web-based customer relationship management programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of distance education.
- Leadership and supervisory experience.
To apply, send:
- Cover letter addressing your qualifications and skills related to the position
- Resume or curriculum vita listing education and employment history
- Four professional references including name, address, phone number (cell number if appropriate) and e-mail address
Send via e-mail to: Marla Wood, firstname.lastname@example.org
Send via postal mail:
Student Services Coordinator Search Committee
Kansas State University
Division of Continuing Education
1615 Anderson Avenue, Ste. 101
Manhattan, KS 66502-4098
Screening of applicants will begin January 9, 2013 and will continue until the position is filled.
Kansas State University is an equal opportunity employer. Background check required.