Academic Adviser, Division of Continuing Education, Bachelor’s Degree Completion Program
Division of Continuing Education
Bachelor’s Degree Completion Program
This position advises current students in the Interdisciplinary Social Science and General Human Ecology distance programs. This position will have primary responsibility in K-State’s efforts to retain and advance the Bachelor’s Degree Completion Program (BDCP) students in Interdisciplinary Social Science and General Human Ecology. This position reports to the Advising Coordinator within the Division of Continuing Education (DCE).
Academic Advising (50%)
- Advise current students in the Bachelor’s Degree Completion programs (BDCP) within the Division of Continuing Education (DCE) of Kansas State University and guide them in their academic journey once admitted to their degree plan.
- Assist with the development of retention strategies for DCE and the various K-State colleges represented by BDCP and carry out strategies in retaining students.
- Assist the College of Arts and Sciences with transcript analysis work, create curriculum guides for Interdisciplinary Social Science students and transmit the completed curriculum guides to students.
- Assist the College of Human Ecology by advising General Human Ecology students who are completing requirements to be admitted into one of the Human Ecology degree completion plans. Analyze transcripts, create curriculum guides for these students and transmit the completed curriculum guides to students.
Administrative Responsibility (35%)
- Maintain BDCP advising database.
- Assist BDCP advising coordinator in creating and providing reports on BDCP student enrollments, potential students, applications, graduation information and retention efforts related to the assigned advising areas.
- Work with college program coordinators and K-State colleges in preparing 2+2 agreements to facilitate student degree completion without relocation.
APP/Division/University Responsibility (15%)
- Represent DCE and K-State at recruiting events as requested.
- Participate on DCE goal teams, committees and other K-State initiatives.
- Attend and present at professional development conferences and workshops.
- Be familiar with the DCE Disaster Recovery Plan and be prepared to follow the plan.
- Other assignments as designated.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Experience working in higher education.
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven record of organizational skills.
- Familiarity with educational technologies.
- Ability to effectively communicate with diverse groups of people.
- Ability to work in diverse and changing environments.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to meet deadlines, be detail oriented, and prioritize.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong personal computer skills.
- Master’s degree in either Academic Advising, Adult and Continuing Education, College Student Development or Counseling and Student Development (experience may be substituted for discipline specific requirements).
- Two (2) or more years’ experience advising students in a higher education environment.
- Familiarity with iSIS and K-State Online.
- Knowledge and understanding of distance education.
To apply, send:
- Cover letter addressing your qualifications and skills related to the position
- Resume or curriculum vita listing education and employment history
- Four professional references including name, address, phone number (cell number if appropriate) and email address
Send via email to: Theresa Taylor, email@example.com
Send via postal mail:
Kansas State University
Division of Continuing Education
1615 Anderson Avenue, Ste. 101
Manhattan, KS 66502-4098
Screening of applicants begins May 3, 2013 and will continue until the position is filled.
Kansas State University is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Background check required.